We all have a reason to travel.
Whether it is for business or pleasure, seeing new places and meeting new people enriches us and often takes us somewhere unexpected, both within and outside ourselves.
But what does traveling really mean? We can tell you what we thing through some famous sayings and quotes:
- There are not two identical travels facing the same path. Paulo Coelho
- The aim of the research is in the path taken and not in the destination. The purpose of traveling is the journey itself, and not the destination. Tiziano Terzani
- A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu
- Traveling is, by its mere form, to exist. Stephen Littleword
- True travelers set off for the mere pleasure of it: their hearts as light as balloons moved eternally by chance, always saying ‘Let’s go’ but never knowing why. Their desires shaped as clouds. Charles Baudelaire.
- The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. Marcel Proust
- I never stay in one country more than three months. Why? Because I am interested in seeing, and if I stay too long I become blind. Josef Koudelka
- As it often happens with the most beautiful adventures in life, this trip also began by chance. Tiziano Terzani
- Travelers can linger in mind, in memory, in narration. José Saramago
- Traveling is like dreaming. The only difference is that not everyone remembers something upon waking up. Everyone keeps instead a vivid memory of the places he just returned from. Edgar Allan Poe
- When you are comfortable in your own skin, traveling is only being somewhere else, not necessarily being far away. Isabelle Adjani
- The only rule of traveling is this one: do not come back as you left. Come back different. Anne Carson
- While traveling seeking new countries you will find a continent within yourself. (Hindu saying)
- Traveling is like falling in love, the world is made new. Jan Myrdal
- You take delight not in a city’s seven or seventy wonders, but in the answers it gives to a question of yours. Italo Calvino
- Traveling is a kind of door through which we leave reality to penetrate in an unexplored world that resembles a dream. Guy de Maupassant
- There is no man more complete than he who traveled and changed twentyfold the shape of his mind and life. Alphonse de Lamartine
- Traveling says this: may you be freed from the ghosts of habit and prepare your eyes with wonder for new discoveries. Fabrizio Caramagna
- The perfect journey is circular. The joy of leaving, the joy of returning. Dino Basili
- Traveling, dreaming, and falling in love: three names for the same thing. Three ways to go to places we do not always manage to understand. Angeles Mastretta
- Traveling must entail sacrificing the regular in favour of chance, giving up the daily for the extraordinary, and it must be an absolutely personal revolution of our certainties. Herman Hesse
- A hundred reasons demand leaving. You leave to make contact with other human realities, to fill an empty spot on a map. You leave because you are still young and you desperately yearn to be filled with excitement and to feel dust crunching under your boots. You leave because you are old and you want to understand some things before it is too late. You leave just to see what will come to pass. Colin Thubron
- A journey is always a discovery. Before being a discovery of new places, it is a discovery of what these new places do to your mind and to your heart. Traveling is firstly, and in any form, discovering oneself. Stephen Littleword
- The most beautiful journey is the one which has not yet been made. Loick Peyron
- No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old familiar pillow. Lin Yutang
- Travel does not merely broaden the mind. It makes the mind. Bruce Chatwin
- Who comes back from a journey is never the same person that left. (Chinese saying)
- On the first journey you discover, on the second one you enrich yourself. (Tuareg saying)
- Traveling means adding life to life. Gesualdo Bufalino
- Every true journey entails the will to accept the unexpected, whatever it is. Even not knowing any more who you were before leaving. Simona Vinci
- Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you did not do that by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
But our favourite quote on traveling is anonymous:
Every journey is lived threefold: when you dream it, when you live it and when you remember it.
Here at Hotel Certaldo our greatest concern is that our guests truly enjoy their long-dreamed Tuscan holiday. That is why our Front Desk is always keen on helping with suggestions, tips, places to see and things to do in Certaldo and close by like San Gimignano, Florence, Siena, Volterra and Monteriggioni …
So that upon returning home from your trip in Tuscany, you will be able to say that your Tuscan journey was indeed lived threefold.